Thursday, May 5, 2011

DoggyStyle: Leash Walking Style and Safety Closures

With all the time we spend with our pooches, it's a wonder it took me so long to discover this. It wasn't until I saw this photo, after taking Miss M to the St. Patrick's Day parade, that I realized how garish her flaming red leash looked in all of our photos.
And after doing some investigating, I came up with this:
I didn't think something like a leash would make a difference, but I actually find myself smiling each time I take them off the hook. And I think I even caught Miss M walking with an extra spring in her step.
 The leash is from Sirius Republic which not only hand makes each individual leash and collar, but they donate 20% of leash and collar proceeds towards rescue groups each month,and they're huge supporters of Our Pack pit bull rescue in California. So we feel really good about buying from them. And even though we had just bought this tie-striped leash for Mr. B:
We felt justified in also buying this spring gingham martingale and leash set. The gingham looked eerily familiar, but I think Mr. B was proud of his new duds:
We had written before about leash clip safety issues, and below is a more detailed view of how we make sure our latch doesn't accidentally come unclipped. Plus, it makes it so much easier to switch out leashes:
Figure A shows the key chain coupler with key rings on both ends, available at any hardware store that cuts keys. The quick release mechanism half of the key chain coupler is attached to the leash with a key ring (Figure B) and the other end is attached with a key ring to our different collars (Figure C). Figures D & E shows how easily it is to switch out collar and still  maintain a second level of security.

17 comments:

Levi said...

What a great idea! We use that to change his tags from collar to collar, but the extra security is a good thought!

-Levi's mom

Unknown said...

Love the new leashes! I especially love that Mr B and E match! They truly are best friends!

Thanks for the tips on extra security. Definitely something to keep in mind!

Backcountry Brodie said...

I love the matchy shirt and collar and leash!

Kate said...

Those are some fancy new leashes! Looking good Ms. M and Mr. B...

Antoinette Errante said...

Oh thank you! Very helpful. I'd been using carabiners but they strike me as a little heavy, especially for Gentle Leaders. This will do the trick and keep my Max and Lola from wandering off. Mr. B looks very fetching as always, and love to see Ms. M in her St. Patricks festivities! Thanks again!!

Anonymous said...

you guys might be the only friends i have who buy more gear for their dogs than we do!
we use a leather leash for our chick because it's so nice and soft in your hands, but i love the leash-and-collar combos.

Two Grad Students and a Pittie said...

thank you for making us feel justified in spending hundreds on goodies for Havi! we LOVE Sirius Republic as well :)

Two French Bulldogs said...

Cool designer leashes!
Benny & Lily

Kitty+Coco said...

Funny that you post this. My husband bought our leash and coupler attachment in..Red. I was horrified, but forced to use it for the past year. I realize it shouldn't matter so much, but it didn't match anything! I just purchased a plain black one to match their black leather collars. I like Ms. M's little birdy print. Very cute.

Kari in Alaska said...

love the new leashes, we need some eventually

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Bobby said...

That is a great extra security idea. the leads and collars look realy good. We think you got your shirt to match as well.
Licks Bobby

brooke said...

I love that gingham print! I was going to get one for Darwin as a spring collar, but Jason says Darwin has way too many collars currently.

And you guys should totally come out to Seattle in the spring to see the tulips! This year they were later blooming because of the winter like spring weather, but they usually start early April. They have a whole website that says when the flowers are blooming (if you get here before the tulips are blooming the daffodils will be in bloom).
http://www.tulipfestival.org/
If you like beer or wine you can include brewery/winery stops too!

2 dogs + 1 cat + 2 humans said...

those leashes are very cool! Might have to look into them!!

Unknown said...

Gotta love fantastic pooch style! Sirius Republic is awesome! If we hadn't had a coupon for Hollywoof styles (who also have fantastic hand-made collars) we would have gotten one from Sirius. Love the extra secure leash system!

Jenner said...

Love the new collars. I'm a hugs fan of martingales.

houndstooth said...

We've seen locking leash clips on a favorite site of ours, and I've also seen people use caribeaners as a back up to the leash clips, too! I think your solution is a pretty good one!

kissa-bull said...

we're going to check out the website for a new collar and leash for guero to celebrate his barkday. thank you for the step by step guide as well. very helpful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...