Friday, December 11, 2009

Chicagoing: Our Chicago Neighborhood

Looking through some of our non-winter weather photos, I was reminded how much we love our neighborhood.
Exploring my neighborhood sometimes feels like a mini-vacation. We are less than 2 miles from the heart of downtown--think Michigan Avenue and The American Girl doll store--but right in the mix of three distinct cultures. Just steps from our home it's like walking through a quaint historic town.
With cheerily painted houses:
Huge historic churches:
And flower-strewn porches:Now if you go in the other direction, you'll be transported into a more vibrant area.
With artist commissioned "permission walls".
Fruits and vegetables right at your doorstep:Impromptu wildflowers:Amazing taquerias:And colorful cowboy stores:And somehow, intertwined among it all, you'll find the other Chicago culture of daily drink specials:Bikes as transport:And loads of outdoor dining options:It's this diversity that makes our neighborhood so interesting. And we're lucky enough to have the pooches which allow us to stop and talk to different neighbors so it feels even more like a community.

3 comments:

laura said...

Your pictures remind me a lot of Toronto (although I'm sure most cities are pretty similar). I love walking to the St. Lawrence Market because I'm in total awe of the tremendous array of foods that are brought in. I'm sure I look like one of the Beverly Hillbillies as I ooh and aah over everything. I'm glad to see your pitties behavior is more decorous than mine.

Dottie said...

Beautiful photos and take on the city. It really is like having a vacation when you stop to appreciate everything that's around you.

Anonymous said...

My mom and I go to that western wear/tack shop for her line dancing boots and my love for horse equipment :) I'm in the south suburbs, but I LOVE checking out different neighborhoods in Chicago; I work out on Goose Island, and had an internship at 180 N. Michigan a couple summers ago. Someday I'll have a dog to go exploring with, too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...